Tuesday, January 27, 2009

First Week in Ukraine


The language is pretty crazy, but it's slowly coming, I'm just relying on the Lord and eventually it will come. So we have an investigator, his name is Dzhonah. he is from Georgia, we have only taught him the first lesson, which was my first and only lesson so far. He is a really happy and friendly guy, he's twenty years old, and he is a lot of fun to talk to.

So my first few days here were pretty hectic, we arrived in Ukraine and we received a warm greeting from the President, his wife, and a bunch of other people. Then we started contacting and talking to people in Dnepropetrovsk. It was a lot of fun, half the time I didn't understand what the people were saying, so I just smiled back and they laughed.

After we contacted for a while we took care of all of our luggage and then went to the president's house for a few minutes and then we were off again to one of the branches. The branch gave us a warm greeting and we had some bread with salt, it's a Ukrainian tradition, and then we told about ourselves and bore our testimonies.

The members cooked an incredible meal for us, we had Borsh, this is a famous soup in Ukraine, and we had some potatoes and chicken, or at least I think it was chicken, and some other little desserts. The members are incredible here!

The next day we met our trainers and went around the city for a little, we took care of our baggage, and then we found out that our bus ride wasn't until 11:00 pm! haha, yeah the bus ride was a lot of fun. We finally arrived in Nikolaev around 5 or so in the morning. The bus ride was quite entertaining, that's all I’m going to say, it was nothing like the greyhound bus Derek and I took from Oregon to Utah when our car broke down.

As you can tell, the first few days were a little hectic! yesterday was Sunday and I had my first sacrament meeting with the branch in Nikolaev. We were able to talk with some babooshkie. Sorry my mind is playing tricks with me, it's so weird to write Russian words in English. But we were able to talk with three grandmas and they were so much fun to talk to! I was able to tell them about the book of Mormon and Joseph smith and why we're here. We were really blessed to run into these grandmas. I gave away my first book of Mormon and we are going to go back and talk with them tomorrow.

I am amazed by how much the Lord blesses us each day, I feel like every single day that I have been in Ukraine has been incredible so far and I have had an opportunity of some sort to bless somebody's life and in return they have more than blessed my life. I have a great companion, his name is Elder Richardson, I am excited to work with him and get to know him better. Well, everything is great here in Ukraine, remember to smile and say hi to everyone, you never know if you will make somebody's day better.

Love, Elder Ostler

No comments: