Monday, February 16, 2009

New English Class

Last weeks letter 2-16-09    
No, we're not allowed to talk about politics with people, but I learn little bits here and there from people. It's really interesting how people view Ukraine and Russia. Some want to be part of Russia, others don't care.  

This last week we had zone conference, zone conference was wonderful! So we are starting up a new program in Nikolaev, and I think we're kind of the pilot district for the new Program for missionary work here. I'm not completely sure how it is all going to work out but I will attempt to explain it. 

This Tuesday we are having a big kick off party at the branch instead of teaching English and we are going out into Nikolaev and handing out invitations to everybody we possibly can, except for we are having old English students do this, along with members of the church. And then on Friday and another day we are going to register everybody (this we haven't done) by doing this we have all of their information and then we meet with them in their house and tell them what we are going to be doing with English and then we're able to also explain why we are here as missionaries and then bring them to a family home evening each Monday with the senior Couple. We have been having a family night on Wednesdays for the past couple of weeks and we don't have a senior couple yet, but I guess they will be coming in a few weeks which will be nice. Also, we will be able to bring members to the family night, this way the investigators become better connected with the members and when the missionaries leave they still have friends in the church and are able to remain active. Sorry I know this is kind of hard to understand, I'm just typing my thoughts since I have to go in a second. But I guess they did something similar to this in Moldova and they had 1800 people show up the next day and missionary work really kicked off.  

Oh, Valentines was actually a lot of fun! In the evening the branch had a valentine’s play about Cinderella and the book of Mormon that the youth put on and a little party. The play/party was a lot of fun. We had a lot of people from English show up and I felt like we were able to get to know the members of the branch quite a bit better.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

The language isn't easy but last week I felt some stuff really click with the language and I can understand a lot more despite the accent I’m slowly getting used to. I feel very blessed with the language, I know that the Lord is blessing me very much and that he blesses me little bits at a time after I struggle and strive to learn the language.     
Love Elder Ostler

"Being blessed with hope, let us, as disciples, reach out to all who, for whatever reason, have 'moved away from the hope of the gospel' (col 1:23). Let us reach to lift hands which hang hopelessly down."     Elder Neal A. Maxwell
 

No comments: